Friday, June 30, 2006

Back To School

8/21/05 – 8/27/05

By C. Zaitz

We’ve turned it into a national institution. Advertisers have us dancing to the beat of the Back to School rap. Even folks who have no school-aged kids get caught up in the excitement of the coming fall and the change of pace. We’re beginning to notice the sluggish sun rising a bit later each morning, and daylight wanes bit by bit with the passing days. Some of us look forward to the coming season, but the kids I had in the planetarium recently groaned on cue when I mentioned the s-word (school). It seems that school cuts into a kid’s summer fun! I seized the moment to remind them that school could be fun and exciting, and that their experience would be shaped by their attitudes. Then I remembered how I had groused the night before about my college classes and about how my evenings would be eaten up by school. Thus ended my soliloquy. But I adjusted my own attitude and remembered all the fun and exciting things I’d be learning, and how I would be able to see the stars on my way home.

I felt better – until I remembered that the sun is my favorite star and that I’d be seeing less and less of him. Luckily anyone who wants to can see the sun day or night on a great website: http://www.spaceweather.com. I go there daily to see the sun’s complexion. You’ll see what I mean- every day the sun looks different. Sometimes it is covered with black spots, and sometimes it’s fairly clear. Those black spots are sunspots or magnetic storms on the sun. The number of spots the sun has relates to its energy output and that effects the Earth. Just why the sun grows these spots is not entirely understood, but it’s only one of the many mysteries about the sun.

The website is also a great resource for information on the Aurorae, both Borealis and Australis. These are commonly known as the northern and southern lights. There isn’t any particular season for Aurorae, but we usually have about a day’s notice so we know when to look for them. Many Michiganders saw them last November and some saw a display in May.

In planetary news, Jupiter and Venus will be drawing nearer to each other all week long, and by Saturday the 27th they will be a mere 5 degrees apart. Unfortunately, they are both very near the horizon at sunset, so you’ll need both a great view of the western sky and patience to wait till it is dark enough to see them. The waning gibbous moon will not hinder your view of these two planets, but on the 25th it will be hanging above Mars in the morning sky. Perhaps the last quarter Moon will look like an ear with a precious ruby Mars dangling from its lobe. Mars will become more and more social as it moves into the evening sky this fall. He must be excited by the coming season too. Mars won’t have to go school clothes shopping, however. Rusty red is his color, and he refuses to change clothes. Sounds like a teenager?

Until next week, my friends, enjoy the view!

No comments: